About the Shih Tzu
There are many theories about the origins of the Shih-Tzu. One of the more popular suggests that the Shih-Tzu originated as a mixture of the Pekingese and the Tibetan Lhasa Apso. These dogs can be seen in Chinese paintings as far back as the sixteenth century. For centuries, Shih-Tzu’s were a favorite among the royalty and upper class of China. It wasn’t until the 1930’s that the breed was exported. That was when the first pair of Shih-Tzu’s was imported into England. As a breed, the British recognized the Shih-Tzu in 1946. It wasn’t until 1969 that the American Kennel Club, AKC, recognized them.
- Average Adult Weight: 9 to 16 pounds, Imperial: 7 to 11 pounds
- Average Adult Height: Up to 11 inches
- AKC Recognized in 1969
- Life Expectancy: 15 years or more
- Member of the AKC Toy Group
- Great Companion Dogs and House Pets
Come See Our
Puppies for Sale...
2439 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, FL 33431
Or Call: 561-395-8997